HBAC Birth Story: Carson Ray Faske

The night of Thursday, January 17th I went to sleep at 10pm and woke up at 12:30am to go to the bathroom. I came back to bed and as soon as I laid down I felt pain & pressure really low for just a few seconds and then a big release of water!  I just kind of laid there in shock!  Right then James was coming to bed (because he was on call for work) and I said, “Babe, my water just broke.”  His reaction was, “What?! Are you sure?!” I got up to go back to the bathroom and I texted my midwife, Donnellyn. She wrote back immediately asking how much came out and if it were clear.  Contractions hadn’t started yet, so she said to lay back down and try to sleep till the contractions started.  But I didn’t get a chance to do that.

We called our parents to let them know we’d have a baby in the next 24 hours!  Then I had James wash our sheets 🙂 By 1:15/1:30am I started having small contractions only lasting a few seconds.  We had all of our supplies for our home birth that we needed, but we were still caught off guard with going into labor at 38 weeks!  So James started making the bed and picking up!  By 1:40am the contractions were coming closer together, getting a bit stronger, and lasting 30-45 seconds.  By 2am we were ready for Donnellyn to come and she was on her way!  James started getting the birthing pool ready.  In between contractions I was brushing my teeth and putting out all the birth supplies on our dining table.  Aiven was sleeping peacefully in his room and we were going to have my Dad and Peggy come get him only if he woke up.

Donnellyn got there at about 2:30am and 2 of her students got there about 15 minutes later.  I was so glad when she got there.  Every time I had a contraction she would stop what she was doing and rub my back and talk me through it.  I would just lean over a table or chair with my hands on the surface and sway back and forth – breathing and relaxing my body.  If there was anything that looked tensed up, Donnellyn would point it out and tell me to relax it. It was so very helpful to relax through each contraction, allowing my body to do what it is supposed to. Once James was done filling up the birthing pool he was able to be there rubbing my back through each contraction.

At about 3am, Donnellyn took my vitals, listened to the baby’s heart beat and checked me – I was at 9 cm!  She said I’d be having this baby soon and that was so exciting to hear!

After that I got in the birthing pool which felt SO amazing!!

After I got in the pool I’m not 100% sure on all the timing but I don’t think I had very many contractions after that till I started feeling the need to push.  Once I started wanting to push is when things got painful.  I kept pushing through the contractions, thinking it was soon over only to have Donnellyn say that I need to bare down and get him down through my pelvis.

In between contractions I felt very relaxed and extremely tired – just wanting to sleep really.  James was right there with me, holding me, kissing my forehead and telling me how much he loved me, how amazing I was doing and how we would soon be holding our baby boy…I couldn’t ask for anything more. Oh, and he also let me squeeze the crap out his arms 🙂 Best.Husband.Ever.

Then I guess not too long after that he was crowning and I was pushing him out!  It felt like I didn’t do that for too long and then he was being placed in my arms!  During the stage of pushing him out that’s really all I was focused on.  Yeah, it was painful, but my mind knew that he was almost here and all I needed to do was focus and push!  Donnellyn was such a great coach, telling me how to breath, to vocalize in a low tone and not to waste a contraction by crying!  I said “I can’t do this” only once and I think it was mostly to hear from them that I could do it and that I was doing it!

Once he was out and in my arms I felt so wonderful.  I had done it and I was holding our sweet baby boy!  He was born at 4:47am on Friday, January 18th – just about 3 ½ hours after contractions started!  We stayed in the water for maybe 10 minutes, just soaking up our sweet baby boy!

Hudson was pretty interested in what the heck just happened as well 🙂

From there me and baby got up and wrapped ourselves in towels and went to our bedroom to lie down.  Aiven slept through ALL of this (which is crazy because I was pretty darn vocal!) and didn’t wake up till he heard his baby brother cry for the first time 🙂 Baby boy latched on immediately after we got in bed.  James went to get Aiven up to meet his baby brother.  He looked so sleepy and confused but when he saw the baby, he kept saying “baby, baby” – it was so sweet.

Then baby and I both got in a herbal bath that they prepared in our bathtub.  It was so nice and relaxing.

After that we went back to our bed and Donnellyn did the newborn exam right on our bed while James, Aiven and I lay there together watching – and Aiven eating cheese, haha. J He weighed 8.2 lbs. and was 21 ½ inches long.  I was so shocked by how big he was since I was 2 weeks early – but good thing I was or I would’ve had like a 9-10 lb. baby!!

After the exam, at about 6:30am, my dad and Peggy arrived with breakfast!  Once Donnellyn was done doing the newborn exam, taking my vitals, and the students were done cleaning up and emptying the birthing pool – we all piled in our room and Donnellyn prayed for our sweet baby boy.  It was such a sweet moment and I felt so thankful and blessed.

Then they left by 7am!  We all ate breakfast and then my dad and Peggy took Aiven with them so James and I could get some sleep 🙂

It took us until Sunday, but we finally named our baby boy – Carson Ray Faske.  My dad had suggested the name a few weeks back and Ray is my Dads middle name.  The birth of our son was so sweet and was everything we wanted.  It went so smoothly and quickly, I couldn’t have asked for a better birth!  Yes, it was painful, but so worth it knowing that, to me, I was doing the best I could for my baby and for myself. I loved being at home, because I felt so comfortable.  I loved not having to pack up and get in a car during contractions!  I loved holding my baby till his newborn exam and even then not being separated from him.  I loved crawling into my own bed immediately after giving birth. I loved not feeling drugged during and afterwards, but being completely present in the birth of my son. I am so thankful that the Lord allowed me to have a vaginal home birth after having a c-section with Aiven.  If we ever have another child, we will definitely plan to go this route again, Lord willing!

Carson Ray Faske

Friday, January 18th, 2013

4:47 AM

8.2 lbs.

21 1/2 inches


7 thoughts on “HBAC Birth Story: Carson Ray Faske

  1. Wow!I didn’t realize you had a C-section with Aiven. That’s awesome you didn’t have to do that again. I have to say though… you are brave :)I like an epideral.. ha when it works right. I had issues with mine this round… lamo!I actually hated Baylor Carollton and it was the worst experience ever. You are amazing though, I honestly don’t think I have the guts!

  2. What a lovely story, Holly! Thank you for sharing this and really felt how special you and James are to the Lord for giving you such a great blessing!

  3. Awesome job Holly, James, and baby Carson! Holly, I’ve been a doula for about 30 years and love to hear these stories of how God can turn tough situations like your first birth into a beautiful answer to prayer for your VBAC at home! You are an inspiration to not only other couples but a testimony to how big and GREAT our God is! I’d love to see you all sometime-it’s been TOO long!
    Blessings family! Please let your folks we said hi, love them, and miss them as well!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s